This free three week course will help you produce a perfect CV, application and online profile when applying for a job or course.
Experts from The Careers Service here at The University of Sheffield share their top tips to help you write exceptional applications, CVs (or résumés), covering letters and personal statements.
You’ll also hear from employers and admissions tutors to find out what they really look for in a candidate.
What topics will you cover?
Understanding your skills
- Analysing job adverts and course descriptions
- Researching the organisation
- Promoting yourself through positive writing
- Mastering applicant tracking systems
- Creating a personal brand
- Dealing with gaps in your application
CVs and covering letters
- Making a positive impression
- Creating an effective CV
- Developing a professional online profile
- Selling yourself in your covering letter
- Exploring sample CVs and covering letters
Application forms and personal statements
- How to approach application forms
- Structuring your responses with the STAR technique
- Responding to competency-based, strength-based, motivational and situational judgement questions
- How to write a brilliant personal statement